Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue

From: Gregory Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Volker Grabsch wrote:

However, the main questions remains: Should we patch libgomp
to work with static phreads, or should we build pthreads as
a shared library?

Sort of topical, at one point someone submitted a patch to mingw that removed the dependency on mingwm10.dll: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-08/msg01207.html

If that patch is viable (I think it was rejected because it doesn't work with Windows 95/98/ME, which I don't know if we care about) then it would argue in favor of patching and using static pthreads. You wouldn't need any DLLs.

IIRC there is at least one person on this list who requested
OpenMP support, and thus should be able to write a quick
"Hello World" that uses OpenMP.

I asked about OpenMP and would be happy to write a simple test program. I may not get to it right away, though. Also, I do not understand the static pthread deadlock in detail, so I'm not sure how helpful that test program will be. If you just want to test that OpenMP is operable, I can do that.

Gregory