Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] trouble with libz.a and other libraries

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] trouble with libz.a and other libraries
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 22:04:12 +1000

On 29 May 2010 18:17, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29 May 2010 02:25, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Small correction: LZMA _is_ part of Mingw-cross-env. It is
>>> to be found in the XZ package:
>>>
>>>    make xz
>>>
>>> The XZ Utils are the successor of the LZMA utils. Both are
>>> in turn based on 7zip's LZMA SDK. See
>>>
>>>    http://tukaani.org/xz/
>>
>> Curious circularity, from libarchive ./configure --help:
>>
>> --without-lzma          Don't build support for xz through lzma
>>
>> Reading the above xz link, I get into the container/compression
>> considerations that confound me with ogg/mpeg-4.
>>
>> Are you saying there's a way to substitute linking lzma with xz?
>
> Ah, I see now. The XZ package provides liblzma and it should be picked
> up by configure. The other libs (zlib and bz2) only accidentally work
> - configure tests the native versions and it just so happens that the
> cross-gcc can find the right ones at build time. I imagine if I had xz
> installed it would work the same.
>
> This is a small enough configure.ac so I might see if I can make it
> more cross-compile friendly.

Arrgghh, after too much time, it seems that configure is doing the
right thing as far as xz goes. The "generally' recommended version of
xz is the snapshot, so I though I'd try that after reading some of
comments on the mailing list (patch attached).

With this version of xz, libarchive builds and runs successfully with:

./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \
--disable-shared \
XML2_CONFIG=path to mingw-cross-env/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/xml2-config

Cheers,

Tony