Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Compiling own libs with mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Compiling own libs with mingw-cross-env
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:41:50 +0200

David Bruce <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I take it I need to write a "t4kcommon.mk" file like those under
> mingw-cross-env's src, then run "make t4kcommon" in mingw-cross-env.
> Then, I should be able to build tuxmath with mingw-cross-env as
> previously, right?

Yes.

Moreover, you could contribute your t4kcommon.mk to mingw-cross-env.
Since it is a free software library, I'd be happy to include it,
even if it is currently used by "only" 2 or 3 applications.

However, this makes only sense if t4kcommon has a separate release
cycle and you don't release e.g. a new t4kcommon version always
immediately before releasing a new tuxmath version. In that case,
the t4kcommon.mk of mingw-cross-env would always be a little bit
too old, and thus not very useful to you.

> Also, if both tuxmath and t4kcommon have some of the same libraries
> listed in configure.ac, will I run into problems when we try to link
> everything statically into one big executable? (that is, will the
> libraries get linked in twice, leading to either a bloated executable
> or errors?)

No, this won't happen. The linker is smart enough to handle that.

In fact, it is quite common for auto-generated linker commands to
mention common libraries multiple times, such as:

    gcc ... -lz ... -lpng -lz

This is no problem at all.

Greets,
Volker