Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Windows

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Windows
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:03:38 +0200

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> I'm wondering whether it would be possible to compile mingw-cross-env on
>> a Windows plattform, too? (if msys with sed and so on is installed).
>> anyone tried this? can this work?
>
> Occasionally someone asks about this. In principle, I suppose it should
> probably almost work, but AFAIK nobody has tried it in some time. So
> please feel free to try and let us know how it goes. I suppose symbolic
> links might be a problem. Not sure if or how symbolic links work in MSYS.

Also, many nice tools such as Python or Perl which are available on
almost any Unix system are missing under Windows, even when using
MSYS. So you might have to install a lot of stuff in order to get
Mingw-cross-env working there.

In addition, the whole purpose of Mingw-cross-env is that developers
_don't_ use Windows. ;-)  That's why I, personally, won't put any
unpaid work on that.

However, I'll include portability patches for MSYS as well as installation
instructions in the requirements section of our docs. So feel free to
work on that if you really need MSYS support.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch