Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:59:55 +0100

Hi Lothar,

Example: Currently, the only supported way to build PokerTH for
Windows is using mingw-cross-env. License of PokerTH is GPL2 or later,
without exceptions. While we authors are "allowed" to create a Windows
build that way, other users would theoretically be forced to disable
OpenSSL dependencies, because PokerTH links with Qt, which is built
with OpenSSL support included.

Although I am eager avoid a licensing thread, it's not clear to me how users in your scenario would be required to do anything by the GPL. If there is an issue here, I suspect it's about distribution.

How could this issue be solved? Could there maybe be an option to
disable dependencies to libraries which are not GPL compatible?

In any case, I'm not sure it would be practical for mingw-cross-env to offer options for this sort of thing. Where would one stop, given the variety of licenses and interpretations that would have to be considered?

What's wrong with just changing the configure options in qt.mk if you want to disable openssl?

This is just my personal opinion.

regards,

Mark