Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:46:36 +0100

Hi,

2011/2/25 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>:
>> "Clearly problematic" might be an overstatement. The openssl FAQ[1] says:
>>
>>> Some GPL software copyright holders claim that you infringe on their
>>> rights if you use OpenSSL with their software on operating systems
>>> that don't normally include OpenSSL.
>>
>> [1] http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
>

> Mark, thanks for the clarification in those two emails!
>
> Lothar, does this address your concerns? From what I've read
> so far, I think we can safely keep the OpenSSL dependencies.
> However, feel free to protest if we have overlooked something.

Well, the view of the FSF is actually that this is "clearly
problematic", as they state that OpenSSL is not compatible to the GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
This list contains the OpenSSL license. And, to my knowledge, this is
the reason why the GnuTLS project was started.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuTLS

So I'd still vote for what Tony proposed, to add some warning to the
documentation and maybe a build time warning if an implicit OpenSSL
dependency is encountered.

Best regards,
Lothar