Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Unneeded Qt dependency

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Unneeded Qt dependency
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:57:25 +0200

On 06/28/2011 04:56 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 06/28/2011 05:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
I am attaching a patch with the needed modifications to qt.mk and the
qt-test sample program.

Oopsy, wrong patch.  Here is the correct one.

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for looking into this issue. I committed your changes (the 2nd version):

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/914b02f02275

but after a false start.

However, freetds still depends on iconv, so I reverted the change to SYBASE_LIBS:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/975794bdcdcd

For the time being at least, it looks like we have to live with the static codec plugins hassle as you explain

In the *.pro file:

  QTPLUGIN += qcncodecs qjpcodecs qtwcodecs qkrcodecs

And somewhere in the program sources:

  #include <QtPlugin>
  Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qcncodecs)
  Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qjpcodecs)
  Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qtwcodecs)
Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qkrcodecs)

But I'm wondering about alternatives:

Maybe there is a way to make Qt to use iconv even on Windows. After all, many applications will have to link to iconv anyway because of other libraries' dependencies, such as freetds and vmime. But I don't know if this is practical or desirable. My guess would be neither.

Another idea is to build the text codecs directly into QtCore instead of as plugins. This is what we do for the common image handlers and SQL drivers, but there is no configuration option to build the text codecs this way.

I'm also wondering if these codecs are necessary for charset conversions that don't involve the language specific characters the codecs are named after.

In cases where they are not used, the codecs could be disabled completely. This would not be a good default in mingw-cross-env.

Any insights would be welcome.

Also, do you have a minimal example showing where a text conversion only works when with -no-iconv?

Mark