Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New Package: qwtplot3d

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New Package: qwtplot3d
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 22:27:32 +0200

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your contribution of qwtplot3d:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/bd09208e8cc3

At line 18 in the .pro file I see this:

# Comment the next line, if you have zlib on your windows system
win32:CONFIG -= zlib
Since mingw-cross-env supplies zlib, shouldn't you comment that out?
I'm a learning. Have commented this out and called -lz at the bottom
of the code instead of zlib.lib

Actually, it is fine to leave that "zlib.lib" alone. Qmake knows how to transform library names to platform conventions. It's not even clear to me why the authors had to add "zlib support for gl2ps" to LIBS there in the .pro file. They are building a library, and if that library depends on zlib it only matters when linking or running an application, depending on what kind of linking is used. Anyway, I omitted this part of your patch and everything still builds fine.
I think it would be better to use patches instead of sed operations, so it's
easier to see which changes still fit when upgrading to the next version.
Was having lots of issues with patches. Have tried to include a patch this time.

Thanks for taking the trouble. I split the patch up into a series of 3 patches. The first 2 fix the missing headers. Could you submit those upstream? The 3rd just configures the .pro file for mingw-cross-env.

I also added a 4th patch to allow the examples to build. They crash for me in Wine but run okay in Windows 7. Maybe you would like to check Wine too and decide if this is something to worry about.
I have a question - the tarball when downloaded and extract seems to
be with dos file endings. Is this an issue?
No, it's not an issue. Also, the practice in mingw-cross-env is to preserve the CR's in the patches for such cases.

Mark