Re: [Mldonkey-users] feature suggestion: forward error correction

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] feature suggestion: forward error correction
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:20:55 +0200

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 03:19:00AM +0200, Ignacy Gawedzki wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:45:45AM +0200, thus spake Christian Brandt:

> I have one idea about solving the incomplete file problem.
>
> There need not necessarily be some complete copy available on some host
> in order to avoid the problem. In fact the union of all the chunks
> available must be the complete file.

 Goswin made a good point how to avoid spreading incomplete files. Make a list
of every available chunk and start download no sooner until all chunks have
been seen at least once. Make an override like "commit_download" for the
bleading edge. Add a counter to the fileinfo like "this file was 100%:
never/5days ago" - I think mldonkey already has this field, but I do not really
understand it.

[...]
> In this way, the availability of chunks should be uniform and there
> should not be any "rare" chunks anymore.

 Nothing to add.

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore