Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and firewalls

From: Alexander Gretencord
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey and firewalls
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:06:17 +0200

On Thursday 05 September 2002 12:18, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> 2. Why would you block connects from the inside from your mldonkey to
> some outside port? Its true that some Trojan Horse could open a connect
> outgoing to let someone in, but do you start Trojan Horses?

Yeah but that argument doesn't stand a real chance, you know all that outlook
and IIS users don't run trojan horses either :P And depending on linux
distribution and user, linux is not far from an unpatched IIS ...

> I would allow all connects from high ports to the outside or run

Never :P

> mldonkey as its own user and allow all outgoing connects of that user.

Huh ? You don't do that anyway ? As far as I'm concerned I don't trust
mldonkey too much and gave it its own user pretty much from the beginning.
That way you can just open ports for mldonkey as you stated and can 'MARK'
everything coming from mldonkey for your traffic shaper, so it doesn't matter
if the upload limits in mldonkey don't work :)

Alex

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin