Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey killing servers

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey killing servers
Date: 07 Sep 2002 00:46:28 +0200

Alexander Gretencord <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday 06 September 2002 13:01, Roland Arendes wrote:
>
> > Don't get me wrong; the integrated server in the cvs-version is a great
> > thing and should add some servers to the network, but it should be enabled
> > by default (with 200 clients and 1000 files it should not make any big
> > difference in resource usage)
>
> Speaking of resource usage, you really think mldonkey is good in that regard
> ?
> Let me tell you: _No_it_is_definately_not_. I've had it consume all the RAM
> available and if you restrict RAM usage it will simply segfault. This sucks.
> You can't download too many (or too popular) files on an old router with it.

I'm currently handling 1200 downloads on my mldonkey and I allow a lot
of sources (1000) to be remembered per file:

  947 mrvn       0  156M  476 155M  1992 S     4.3 20.6  85:03 mldonkey

If you reduce the number of sources mldonkey remembers per file you
save a lot of ram. Also the numberof servers should be limited (I
currenlty have 11360 in the list).

Of cause if you reduce the resources you reduce performance somewhat.

MfG
        Goswin