Re: [Mldonkey-users] best way to start mldonkey (linux)

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] best way to start mldonkey (linux)
Date: 14 Sep 2002 20:17:15 +0200

Gonzo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello mldonkey users,
>
> I'd like to run mldonkey 1.99 permanently on my linux machine. Could
> somebody give some advice on this topic?
>
> i thought about 2 ways:
>
> 1) startproc -u 90 -g 90 -l /var/log/mldonkey.log /usr/.../mldonkey
> where mldonkey shoulg get uid and gid 90, which is reserved for
> mldonkey. somehow it always quits with a fatal error: exeption
> sys_error ("log.0: permission denied") although the file belongs to
> user and group 90 and should be writeable.

1. you need to cd into the directory where mldonkey should run, the
fdir where the *.ini files reside and where the incoming and temp
diretory is. I have a script for that (/usr/bin/mldonkey) that cds and
then calls the real mldonkey (/usr/lib/mldonkey-cvs/mldonkey).

Your mldonkey probably tries to run in / or /root.

> 2) start mldonkey via cron jobs. maybe even better than starting on
> reaching the runlevel, because i've read that mldonkey runs into
> problems after some hours/days, and the machine should be up all time.
>
> any thoughts on this, or better ideas?
> please help :)

If you are afraid of mldonkey crashing use init to respawn it. cron
would start another mldonkey even if the old one is still running and
only restart mldonkey once a day (or what ever time you use).

respawning => init.

Some people with dynamic IP restart mldonkey when the IP changes.
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d are the right places for that
then. I prefer to just change the clien_ip and have a simple shell
script to do the job.

MfG
        Goswin