[Mldonkey-users] ETA calculation

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] ETA calculation
Date: 08 Oct 2002 05:21:45 +0200

Hi,

I added an ETA column to mldonke_gui and have a first implementation
for it. Before I post a patch for it I would like to hear some
opinions about it and maybe some better way to calculate it.

There are 3 ways the ETA is calculated:

1. The file is currently being downloaded with rate > 0.0.
   ETA = bytes missing / rate
2. The file is downloaded partially (downloaded > 0)
   rate = downloaded / age
   ETA = bytes missing / rate
3. none of the above
   ETA = 1000 days (never)

The gui displays the ETA as 17 (17 seconds), 3:05 (3 minutes 5
seconds), 1:02:03 (1 hour 2 minutes 3 seconds) or 1.5d (1.5 days).
ETAs of 1000 or more days are displayed as ---.

One thing I see as a problem is that the ETA rises if you pause a
file but theres no counter for how long a file has been not
paused. Same with offline time.

Also files where you get a few K every now and then will jump to a
much shorter ETA every time you get a few k and then drop back again.

Any better ideas for the ETA?

MfG
        Goswin