[Mldonkey-users] Stalled/Incomplete Downloads - Suggestion for mldonkey

From: Marcus Grieger
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Stalled/Incomplete Downloads - Suggestion for mldonkey
Date: 22 Oct 2002 12:41:17 +0200

Hi there!

I just got an idea for mldonkey.

Sometimes if you start downloading a large file it's available at 100%,
but then the original source disappears and an incomplete file is left
on the donkey network. There is always the possibility that the file
will be available 100% later, but that's not guaranteed.

If, for example, you got 80% of a file and then the download stalls for
a long time, other users may still download the incomplete file from you
(and perhaps realizing that it's incomplete and delete it later).

So it would be nice if mldonkey could block uploads of an incomplete
file that stalled for some days. This would save bandwith if it's really
an incomplete file. After mldonkey manages to find sources with new
blocks, it could automatically allow uploads of this file again.

Maybe I'll get the CVS version and play around with the sources, but
since I don't know ocaml that wouldn't be an easy task. At least I know
Haskell (another functional language) from a course at the University.

--
bye,
     Marcus