[Mldonkey-users] Help spreading files by more clever upload handling

From: Tom Mraz
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Help spreading files by more clever upload handling
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:42:54 +0200

I've posted this into the bugs, but it isn't exactly a bug.

When someone releases a file and has a limited bandwidth the bandwidth isn't used efficiently. Even if he powershares the file there is high probability that he will upload some chunk of the file to more than one downloading peer although he hasn't uploaded other parts yet.

I don't know the uploading/downloading algorithm exactly so I may be a little wrong but I think this proposed behaviour (or something simmillar) could help.

The mldonkey could help spreading files by prefering different parts of files on upload.

So if there are more peers waiting on the queue and some of them wants to download a part which wasn't downloaded recently the upload algorithm should prefer them and allow them to download sooner.

The peers which want already downloaded parts would be allowed to download only when there are no other peers in the queue.

Even better the mldonkey could keep somewhere a count how many times the different chunk was downloaded and prioritize the downloading peers accordingly.

Tom