[Mldonkey-users] Re: mldonkey craches while commiting

From: Robin Hill
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: mldonkey craches while commiting
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:15:57 +0000

On Tue Oct 29, 2002 at 09:22:16AM +0000, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> > No problem, cause I read, that I first have to "commit" them, but when I
> > do this I get an error message like "from_gui: exception
> > Sys_error("Input/output error") for message GuiProtocol" and the files
> > disappear from the "download-complete"-dialog.
> >
> > What's wrong with my mldonkey?
> >
> > Can somebody help me?
>
> Yes, this is a fairly common problem and AFAIK only occurs when you've
> launched mldonkey into the background without redirecting stderr and
> stdout.  Launch mldonkey with something like:
>
> nohup ./mldonkey &> /dev/null
>
> or
>
> nohup ./mldonkey &> mldonkey.log

Actually, if you're using nohup then it will already be redirecting
stdout and stderr, so
        nohup ./mldonkey &
will do.  Alternately you can use:
        ./mldonkey > mldonkey.log 2> mld_err.log &
or
        ./mldonkey &> mldonkey.log &
The first will redirect stdout and stderr to separate files, the second
to the same file.

> Be warned though, the log file will get pretty large pretty quickly -
> I don't know off hand if there's a way of supressing the logging.

This can be done simply by redirecting the output to /dev/null.  It's
probably best if you only redirect stdout to /dev/null and leave the
stderr logging to a file - that way you can see what errors there are
(the error log will be fairly small, it's the normal log which can grow
very large).

Cheers,
        Robin

--