[Mldonkey-users] Re: Question about lost harddrive space and downloading

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Question about lost harddrive space and downloading.
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:24:56 +0100

Slickert <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2. I download a file, it works OK but after a while the client  left
>    the mldonkey
>    --> my download stopped (thats normal I know)

Right. If there are not available sources on the net, you cannot
download more bytes.

>    But here my questions:
>      a) Can I continue from an other user (without starting from the
>         beginning) ?
>      b) Can I download one file from many client (like in morpheus, or
>         limewire) ?

This is essential to the edonkey protocol. Files are downloaded from
every client which has the file or parts of the file available. This
will happen automagically and totally transparent to you.

Just be patient and wait.

eDonkey is not a protocol for the "i want it right now and not a second
later" user, but a method for secure and constant sharing, distribution
and transferring of files.

Because of the special features of the edonkey protocol, you are
guaranteed to get the file you wanted and not a mixture of different
files, like it can happen on a gnutella or napster network.

The edonkey protocol has several methods of checking the transferred
files through a distributed hashing system. Because of this, insertion
of fake files or disturbing of already present files in the network is
made difficult for malicous users (call them record labels, etc.)

S°

--
BOFH excuse #215:

High nuclear activity in your area.