RE: [Mldonkey-users] Question about lost harddrive space and down loadin

From: Fernandez Martinez, Alejandro
Subject: RE: [Mldonkey-users] Question about lost harddrive space and down loading.
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:38:23 +0100

Hi Slickert and Martin,

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: Martin [mailto:address@hidden]
> Asunto: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Question about lost harddrive space and
> downloading.
>

> Slickert wrote...
> > Hi I have a few problems:
>
> Yes. First one: very bad english!

Few of us are native English speakers, so no reason to complain here!

> > 1. I tried to download a file (around 800Mb)
> >     I canceled the download after a while
> >  --> File disappeared out of the "temp" folder, but the
> 800Mb didn't return.
> >  --> Know I lost around  10 G, and I don't know how to get
> them back.
>
> How do you lost them? Where do you see the space is gone? When the
> temp-file is removed the disc-space will increase again...

Nope, in Mac OS X you get info on a disk and it will report that the space is still occuppied.

Try to issue a 'close_fds' command. This closes all the files, and you should recover the lost space (and get a lot of disk trashing if you are low on RAM  :)

> > 2. I download a file, it works OK but after a while the client
> >    left the mldonkey
>
> ? I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about...the client
> left mldonkey? LOL

I would guess the client that he was downloading from was disconnected from the network.

> >    --> my download stopped (thats normal I know)
> >    But here my questions:
> > a) Can I continue from an other user (without starting from
> the beginning) ?
>
> From another user on your system? Sure! As long as the rights for all
> files allow that...
> Or do you mean from different users on the edonkey-network? Sure.

Yes, just leave it going. In eDonkey network, you download any big file in chunks, of about 10 MB. Once a chunk is downloaded, it has to find clients for the rest.