Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sources per chunk

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sources per chunk
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:08:20 +0100

Le Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:34:18 +0100, "Sonja Paszeska" <address@hidden> a écrit :

> what is the sources per chunk variable about? Can I adress multiple
> sources for one chunk? Would it be wise to do so?

Well, mldonkey has always been able to download a chunk from several
sources at the same time, it's just that it would not usually do it
(only if it has more sources than remaining chunks, and then, it will
put almost all the sources on one chunk at a time...).
If you use a sources_per_chunk > 1, it will use that many sources to
get each chunk, from the very beginning of the download.

The benefits, is that it will try harder to complete a smaller number
of chunks, so you'll become a new source for those chunks sooner. The
chunks will also be completed in an order that follows more closely
the planned order (last chunk, then first, then others,...), nice for
previewing.

The drawback is that, may be that you get a slot from a source only
for a given chunk, so you'll download less bytes per source each time
it's your turn in the queue (can someone confirm ? mldonkey itself
doesn't appear to work that way, but others ?)