[Mldonkey-users] unreachable clients (due to firewall) - possible solut

From: fov
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] unreachable clients (due to firewall) - possible solution?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:04:17 +0100 (MET)

dear everybody,

first of all my congrationlations to the developers to this fine piece of
software. mldonkey really rocks :-)

but i have a little problem: my provider blocks all incoming and outgoing
connections on tcp port 4662 (the default edonkey client port). for the
incoming port this isn't really a problem: i simply set another port in my
download.ini and getting high id's on servers again.

but for the outgoing connections this means that i cannot reach about 80% of
the other peers. it's still up/downloading, but significantly less than on
another connection that has port 4662 open. now i entered 4662 into the port
black list option of my download.ini and most peers are now blacklisted (which
is good because it keeps mldonkey from trying outgoing connections on 4662
and thus does not flood my providers firewall log with unauthorized connection
attempts) :)

but only reaching about 20% of the whole network is dissatisfying me. i only
know little of the edonkey protocol, but i recently got an idea: if it would
be possible to make those peers on port 4662 connecting me instead me
connecting them, it would work. that means my mldonkey would need to handle all
peers that are on port 4662 as if they had a low id. instead of connecting them,
it should send a request to their server to connect me.

my questions are: would this be possible? would it work? what will servers
do if they get a callback request for a client that actually has a high id?
would such an option harm the network (i guess not)?

unfortunately my understandings of ocaml are too bad to test this by myself,
i even don't find the right spot to start at. maybe there's anybody out
there who has similar problems or even somebody who can put together an
experimental patch that i could give a try.

regards,
markus aka fov