Re: [Mldonkey-users] HDD use

From: Jochen Radmacher
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] HDD use
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:50:45 +0100

Ficlu schrieb:

Hi,

I am wondering about the use of the disk by the mldonkey client. A friend of mine (a pc sailer) said me that a lot of p2p users crashe their disk because the client makes too many access to the disk. After 6 months of 24h/day of utilization, a kazaa client could destroy the disk (it happened for a significant number of persons and that's the reason I am wondering about the mldonkey client case). Is there any policy in the mldonkey client when writing on the disk ? I know that linux can be configured to synchronize the buffer cache with the disk less often but I think that's also the problem of the software to have a normal use of the disk. Am I wrong ?

You can do that, but it only makes sense, if you don't write to the disc and put in standby mode,since the disc would be still running. (imposible for p2p) Many IDE discs are running in servers nowadays, so this should be no problem. The important value is mbf (meantime between failure), which states how long a disc is expected to run. This value depends heavily on temperature. So a simple Fan may help extending the livetime of your harddisc.

Jochen