Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey-users Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4

From: Martin Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey-users Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:58:26 +0200

Hi Ezequiel,

>> I'm sure you can make plugins to have mldonkey get your
>> email too -- but is that really useful or appropriate?
> I don't think that P2P through email would be such a bad idea... Actual
> P2P networks require everyone to be online at the same time, and many
> people just don't have their computer on all the time. So a P2P network
> that used asynchronous communication might have a much bigger search
> base, and be more robust.

No, no... absolutely. Using eMail to transfer binarys at all is
stupid. Most ppl out there can get 2 or 3 MB per Mailadress, in better
cases perhaps up to 10. Thats not really enough.

The data must be uploaded. Ok, you got 10s of thousands of Mails to
send someone something. Which one will you answer? And what happens,
if the other side already has got the data you were requested to send?
Bad, files you request will arrive perhaps in a day, perhaps in a
month. You cant be sure. How many requests for the same data will you
send out? How can you ever be sure that you can request something
again without risking to get tons of data again and again in a month?

And, the reason to not use email for binary at all: You have to encode
it using BASE64 etc. You want to send one file, say with a size of 1
MB. The Mail with the coded file will be around 1,4 MB... so you
generate much more traffic than you will need using ftp, etc.

Another point: If we use emailadresses much like IPs today and if
these reasons above will disappear magically, theres a chance we could
kill tons of mailservers with this. They really aren't used to
p2p-filesharing and the traffic it generates.

So, thats a few reasons why this isn't a good idea and why it is
already found in the MLdonkey-users digest. Great idea for p2p when it
comes to humor, but not usable. ;-)

Gruß,
  Martin

--
PGP public key ID:  0x27D580B5
PGP public key fingerprint: 3761 E66D 8600 EF88  A547 65B7 1CBC 1F8F