Re: [Mldonkey-users] An idea for bandwith save

From: Bruno Saverio Delbono
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] An idea for bandwith save
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:46:01 -0800

Saiyine wrote:

So, here's my idea: what about releasing xdelta patches with every new mldonkey version as the kernel developers release text patches with every new kernel??? It would save _lots_ of bandwidth (just compare most of your users downloading 50 kilobytes instead of 3000!)

Because that would mean that people who've never tried mldonkey would have to download the old release and apply delta/diff's etc. to make it current. Remember not all platforms would have xdelta or even gnu diff for that matter. There is already a requirement to compile ocaml, so I'm not sure if using another program to just patch the old release to make it current would be welcome.

You can also save on bandwidth by using CVS_SSH and cvs -z 3-9 -r <TAG> to apply/upgrade releases

--
Bruno Saverio Delbono
Systems Engineer