Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Forums

From: kami petersen
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] New Forums
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:15:36 +0100

vnc wrote:

Hi,

devein wrote:

for all the frenchs....

is someone patient enough to setup somewhere a french forum ( may be is it
already done ) ?
the number of french linux/mldonkey users is growing ....

yeah! and polish forum too!
devein, polish mldonkey user

If there is not already such a forum (please check extensively)
I think we could add a polish, french and brazilian (yes, we had a request!) forum to mldonkey.berlios.de. The main point is that we need
reliable moderators.

spontaneously, i think adding more fragmentation to our community would be really bad. cross posting would increase and valuable information and view points would dilute. what's next? at some point we have to ask ourselves if it's not more important for a small community to try to focus on a compromise. maybe more effort should be put into maintaining a concise faq, wich could be synch'ed across languages, and possibly an i18nalized help system for the guis (it should be part of the main daemon, so that all guis could utilize it).

however, i think that the main problem is not in understanding written english, rather, i think many people might hesitate when they have to write english themselves. i think that there might be a need for "help-only" forums in specific languages. these should really be just for direct problem solving, catered by fellowed countrymen with good hearts. not bug reports, not general debate, not even feature requests, since the chance that these would ever reach outside of that particular forum is probably small.

i think that when certain language groups are big enough, they will start their own forums. as has the french and the germans (i think). there's nothing that can be done about that, but let's try to keep the mldonkey world site mainly in english.

cheers,
kami