[Mldonkey-users] Re: download speed and queue problems

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: download speed and queue problems
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 04:50:03 +0200

Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:

> I read somewhere that if the mlnet is kept running for a long time,
> download becomes faster (due to larger no of connections) as it has
> been waiting in queues for a long time.

Please don't talk about "downloading faster" but instead talk about
"downloading more parallel", because if your source only uploads with
4kB/s, you won't get any more out of it.

But the general observation is correct. With the net containing of about
95% clients with a queueing system, a longer wait time results in higher
queue positions and thus more parallel downloads and thus a faster
completion of your downloads.

> On the contrary, I also came to know that as mlnet has some memory
> leaks (once it hogged about 1.3 GB overnight, resulting in a un-usable
> system)and so it should be restarted frequently, about once a day.

mldonkey has some issues, correct. Because of this, you won't be able to
fully "exploit" the possibilities of the donkey network (yet).

S°

--
BOFH excuse #163:

no "any" key on keyboard