Re: bison shift/reduce conflict

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: bison shift/reduce conflict
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:45:44 +0000

Christian Hopp wrote:

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Martin Pala wrote:

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> writes:

There are other choices, if you remove the /* EMPTY */ production

from time and from action the conflict is solved

Actually, it's enough to remove the /* EMPTY */ production from
action, maybe it's the simplest thing to do? I think that's going to
get my +1.

I'm +1 too, so time and/or action will be required.

Or we define an action statement like,

TIMESTAMP /foo/bar > 5 seconds ACTION alert.

That would solve the shift problem => we would change all "action" related
statements... like resouce.

Christian

It could be good solution and in the case that we don't break backward compatibility, i would preffer it (to add ACTION statement to the grammar and correct documentation). However i think it can affect upgrade from 3.0->3.1 so maybe we should just avoid EMPTY (default value). What about it? Shall we add ACTION or remove EMPTY from time?

Martin