Feature Request (I Think Anyway)

From: Jonathan Houser
Subject: Feature Request (I Think Anyway)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:21:00 -0500

I did a search through the archives and didn't see anything like this mentioned. The issue I'm having is that I have a three-tier process dependency in which the top one may die without killing the others. As such, to do a clean restart I have to call the bottom level init script's stop, and then the top level's start. This works fine when doing port tests and the like (as I specify to do a 'restart') for the process, but the problem is when the process dies. The CHECK PROCESS syntax in that case will just call the 'start' script which in turn fails because the init script thinks it's already running. Thus you're stuck with a dead process tree that'll never restart (as we had last night for around 12 hours :P ). Here's a config example:

check process kannel with pidfile /var/run/wapbox.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/wapbox start"
   stop program = "/etc/init.d/bearerbox stop"
   if failed port 8080 then restart
   if failed port 13013 then restart
   if failed port 9201 type udp then restart
   group www

The feature request would be to specify a default action for the failure of the default check (in this case CHECK PROCESS). Then I could make my default action 'restart' which would in turn call my 'stop' script followed by my 'start' script and would work fine. Sound reasonable?

Other than that, I'm sure you hear this a lot anyway, but monit's a great piece of software. Extremely flexible little bugger, and your documentation is very helpful as well. :)

Jon