Re: semi-handled event queue implementation patch

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: semi-handled event queue implementation patch
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:40:18 +0200

On 6. okt. 2005, at 23.02, Martin Pala wrote:

here is patch which implements the general queue for semi-handled events. When some part of event handling failed, the event can be queued and failed parts retried later.

*

What about it - can i add it to the cvs?

I think this is a good idea and I'm +1 for adding this patch, but I believe the patch first must include extra functionality to set the queue length and to optionally disable queueing from the monitrc control file, using some kind of [set-statement] e.g. [set event queue length] or [set event queue timeout] (to drop very old events off the list) or maybe combine them in a [set event queue...] statement, to activate the queue (assuming event queueing is off by default, which it probably should be?). Since monit can run for a long time and much can fail, there must be a safety net for not filling up memory with undelivered events.

This is of course up to you, but instead of using memory directly it can be an idea to use the monit state file and read/write undelivered events from this file? Just a thought.

Finally I think it is important to make the distinction that the purpose of such a queue is eventually only for handling undelivered alert events and try to send them again to a (mail) server, not to retry a stop or start at a later time :-) Apropos in addition to try resending alerts it could be useful to make it possible to view and even manage the queue from the web-interface, but that should definitively be for a much later version and something that I eventually can do, you shouldn't have to do all the work :)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255