Re: [Monotone-devel] Error: std::runtime_error: host www.off.net not fou

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error: std::runtime_error: host www.off.net not found
Date: 20 Oct 2003 13:21:51 -0400

Marco Maggesi <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list and to monotone.  I am trying to fetch monotone
> from Graydon's depot but I get the following error:

>   *** Error: std::runtime_error: host www.off.net not found

this message means that gethostbyname("www.off.net") returned
NULL. it's a system error: somehow your machine wasn't able to resolve
www.off.net, or perhaps the static binary (if you fetched that) made
an OS call your machine didn't like.

can you:

  - confirm that you can ping www.off.net.

  - provide your operating system version, C library version, and a
    description of which exact binary of monotone you are using (the
    .rpm, the .deb, the .bz2, or a version you compiled yourself)

that will help us isolate this problem further.

thanks,

-graydon