Re: [Monotone-devel] Error: std::runtime_error: host www.off.net not fou

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error: std::runtime_error: host www.off.net not found
Date: 23 Oct 2003 10:24:50 -0400

Marco Maggesi <address@hidden> writes:

> I just finished to compile monotone.  It seems to work nicely: now I
> am able to import from external databases!

ah, good to hear.

> I started by checking out version 9ddc4.  But when I try to run
> autoconf I get:
>
>   autoreconf-2.57: automake failed with exit status: 1
>
> Is this due to the fact that I checked out an instable version?

I do not know why this would be. the set of autotools we are using is:

  automake 1.7.3
  autoconf 2.57

can you give more diagnostic information (say, automake --version,
automake --verbose)?

> Can you suggest a version of monotone that should be stable enough?

typically (unless I make a mistake) I do not commit versions to my
monotone depot unless they pass 'make check'. so the development
version should usually, by that weak measure, be as stable as a
release. since monotone is still pretty young software, often the
development version also contains important bug fixes too, so I'd
recommend trying the newer versions when possible.

of course, eventually monotone's own QA techniques (sorting updates by
test-result certificate) will be able to make a slightly more
convincing promise than "I usually remember to run 'make check'".

> Moreover I have an error using 'monotone log' (with both versions of
> monotone, that is, the binary from the web page and the version
> complied from the sources available from the web page):
>
>   *** Error: std::logic_error: database.cc:556: invariant
>       'I(delta_exists(ident, delta_table))' violated

this is probably just a bug. most likely there is a version referred
to by the ancestry graph in my depot, but the version itself is not
present in the depot. this is a legal situation for a monotone depot,
so 'monotone log' should not crash when it encounters it. thanks for
pointing it out, I'll fix that.

-graydon