Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: GCC and Monotone

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: GCC and Monotone
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 03:06:07 -0800

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:42:10PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> ... I was using 'depot' as a generic term; I guess I meant 'database'?
> The gcc.gnu.org server would probably handle NNTP, HTTP, and email;
> and it's the last of these that I'm concerned about - access control
> is easy to arrange for the first two, but we *want* arbitrary people
> to be able to feed us patches via email.  They wouldn't get merged
> until someone looks at them, but I think anonymous patch submission
> into database has great promise for preventing patches from getting
> dropped on the floor.

Why are you more worried about DoS directed at a patch database
submission email than a DoS directed at gcc{,address@hidden
It seems like the available defenses slightly better in the former
case (because monotone packets are more recognizable), and the
annoyance greater in the latter case (where the DoS is reflected to
everyone).

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen