[Monotone-devel] Re: Using the same key on two databases

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Using the same key on two databases
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:56:04 -0500

Grigorios Prasinos wrote:

My question is: is it possible to use the same key on both computers?
If yes, how?

yes, another "how-to" for us to add to our docs:

1. generate your database and key on computer A

    $ monotone genkey address@hidden

2. write the public *and private* packets to a file

    $ monotone pubkey address@hidden >>my-key-pair.txt
    $ monotone privkey address@hidden >>my-key-pair.txt

3. copy the file to another computer

    $ scp my-key-pair.txt computer-b.com:my-key-pair.txt

4. read the key into the monotone database on the other computer

    $ monotone read <my-key-pair.txt

if you have further difficulties with this, please let us know. it is definitely *supposed* to work :)

-graydon