[Monotone-devel] Re: Unknown signature in net.venge.monotone

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Unknown signature in net.venge.monotone
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:51:36 -0500

Magnus Therning wrote:

This seems to block my update path to the head
(4336b2fb2406e32d5dcd623e4015b711d73dcd0b) which means my db looks
unmerged.

Where can I find the pubkey?
Or even better, can I make it go away without adding another key[1]?

oxygene's key and depot are listed here:

http://www.tastensuppe.de/~oxygene/mtdata.txt

currently, you're right, the "trust" mechanism is just ancestry evaluation. we'll be changing this at some point to use approval properly (calling a quorum hook to see if enough people you like have approved something to qualify). until then it's a bit simple-minded.

I've issued another ancestry cert (on my key) which should un-jam that edge. sorry, I forgot it would even be a problem.

if you want to have a go at enhancing this stuff, by all means do so. rip out what's currently in update.cc (all the sorting stuff is too complex) and replace it with something which measures a set of approvals / disapprovals, and calls a lua hook to check whether they're satisfactory.

the only thing to keep in mind is that sufficient approval should probably be present *all along* an update path (not just at the target) whereas test-result correctness needs only to be present at the target. also keep in mind that whatever mechanism we put in for updates will probably be reused for merges and propagates, too.

-graydon