[Monotone-devel] Re: second go at i18n spec

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: second go at i18n spec
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:48:32 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

I still feel like these should be hooked on file attributes, not hooks
that process filenames?  Am I being dumb somehow?

no, I'm not firmly decided on the UI for these. I was much more concerned about the name-ish things (cert, key and branch names, URLs). you may well be right. it seems important to me that the user be able to choose the external representation for file character conversion (otherwise what's the point?) but maybe setting the internal representation via a file attribute is better.

I worry with this that you get weird behaviour if two people have
hooks that disagree -- what happens if I get a binary cert but don't
update my hook appropriately; presumably monotone will notice at some
point that the cert is invalid as a text cert and choke, but how and
when does that happen?

we can just set it to binary by default unless a hook returns "text" (and note: all text is charset-converted and washed for ctrl codes anyways, so it should be only marginally ugly if you get it wrong). I'm not actually forseeing a huge repetoire of cert types in broad use.

-graydon