Re: [Monotone-devel] second go at i18n spec

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] second go at i18n spec
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:02:05 -0800

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:26:21PM +0100, Christof Petig wrote:
> Another problem might be forbidden names (e.g. "aux").
> We hit this one easily with a directory named "Aux" (for auxiliary files).

I think the solution here is to check for such things before opening
files for write on checkout/update; it's not a formal constraint on
filenames at all, since "device files" can be added and removed on the
fly.

It Might Be Nice(tm) to have some way to warn people that they were
conflicting with a common windows device name, but I just don't know
how this would work, and it's not monotone's job to make your software
portable under all circumstances...

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein