[Monotone-devel] Re: Problem with duplicate files

From: Lorenzo Campedelli
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problem with duplicate files
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:02:37 +0100

graydon hoare wrote:
Lorenzo Campedelli wrote:

while trying to use monotone I stumbled into what I think is a problem.
If two files in the working copy change and they become equal (or two equal files are changed the same way) then the resulting patch-set is wrong, as it reports the real change for one file and a deletion for the next one.

Do you think this behaviour can be changed?

yes. I will look into it, it's clearly wrong and (I think) reasonably easy to detect and work around. thanks for the bug report.

-graydon

Hello,

I tried to find out what needed to be changed to solve this problem. Looks like the behaviour is the result of a precise choice to preserve the bijective property of the path->id map (as described in a comment in patch_set.cc). This doesn't seem an easy work-around, so maybe I'm just wrong (I must admit that I didn't look hard enough to get the whole picture).

Any suggestion on how I could try to change it (or maybe has anybody already changed it?).

Another thing: monotone automatically detects the MT directory and uses the options file from there, but this only works from the working directory, not from its subdirs. Is this wanted ? It would be nice to be able to limit some commands (e.g. diff) to subdirectories, and have monotone "climb" the tree to find the MT directory in the root of the working directory. I think svn offers partial diffs, but things there are maybe easier due to the .svn directories distributed all over the tree...

Well, it's just a suggestion...

Regards,
Lorenzo