Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: feature request: enhanced monotone status

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: feature request: enhanced monotone status
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:33:27 -0600

graydon hoare wrote:
Gerhard Schuck wrote:

I wonder how I can check the status of a working copy in relation to the database. As far as I see, the usual commands like "monotone status" and "monotone diff" only compare the working copy with the status represented in the manifest file in the MT subdirectory, but ignore changes in the database. What I would like to have, is an equivalent to "cvs -n update" or "svn status -u".

I was thinking about this earlier today and wondered whether monotone log might have some enhanced behaviour like:

monotone log history (log from current version backwards in time -- what log is
now)
monotone log updates (log from current version forwards in time)

Also, rather than having to do my own diffs between manifests listed by these two log variants, what if:

monotone --details log history/updates

would list all the diffs between the versions in the log?

I'm sure there are some complicating factors here like what order to deal with multiple heads in (breadth-first, depth-first, etc.) but it would sure be great to be able to easily see what's coming and what has changed recently.

The only reason I used --details here is that --verbose seems to be taken, but it seems like it is taken for something more like debugging and perhaps it should be renamed --debug?

The other reason I'm wondering about --verbose is that Christof's addition of authors and dates to the heads listing seems like it might be useful in a few places, like complete in particular and perhaps this additional information would be displayed only when --verbose is specified?

Thoughts?
--
Cheers,
Derek