Re: [Monotone-devel] file:// protocol for URLs

From: Nathan Myers
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] file:// protocol for URLs
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 09:37:34 -0700

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:33:57PM +0200, Herve Quiroz wrote:

> First, monotone won't allow me to use a depot on an USB key, complaining
> about the lack of large file support in the kernel (the FS on the USB
> key is FAT32, which I can't change because it is also my MP3 player).
> Is there a way for me to handle this? So far, I am moving the depot out
> of the USB device every time I need to synchronize...

You can make a file system image within your USB key with any file
system format you like.  It's all pretty simple to set up.  Use dd to
create the file with the size you want, and the regular mkfs to format
within it, and then loopback-mount it.  The only problem is that you
have to set aside as much space as you think you might need ahead of
time, cause it won't grow the file system (or its file) automatically.

Some file systems can be grown "manually" -- you would append a chunk
of blank space, and then run a utility to incorporate the the added
space into the file system; but you probably would be better off just
deleting the whole thing and then copying a backup into a newly-created
(bigger) file system image.

Nathan Myers
address@hidden