[Monotone-devel] Re: PostgreSQL support

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: PostgreSQL support
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:20:48 -0400

joel reed wrote:
I've been working a bit on getting monotone to work on with a PostgreSQL
backend. the database.{cc,hh} part doesn't look too hard at least.

how interested is everyone in PostgreSQL support? don't want to work
too much on this if there's only marginal interest.

I won't stop you, but honestly I've had much nicer days with sqlite than I have with any large RDBMS server. we are also *quite* chatty with the database, so this might cause speed problems. I'm not sure; haven't even tried it.

you'll need to spend some time fiddling with the schema, because sqlite is essentially typeless; every value is just a variable-length string. other than that, a little connection management logic (maybe even via odbc?) and you should be home free.

(related note: the 8k pages really make a difference for lots of certs; curiously they seem to work *against* us for lots of big files. I somewhat wish sqlite could adjust its page size dynamically. this can affect database size by a factor of 2 in either direction when it misses a sweet spot)

-graydon