[Monotone-devel] Re: bug reports / first impression

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: bug reports / first impression
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:28:35 -0400

Derek Scherger wrote:

Ok, that sounds pretty reasonable. Would --verbose (or something equivalent and not already taken) also be reasonable to add more info to a missing list (and other commands) perhaps?

yeah. I think I like the suggestion which came up here that --verbose be renamed --debug, and --verbose be used as a flag which means "tell me slightly more than you otherwise might". the current --verbose tracing is so verbose as to be meaningless to a non-developer.

I was thinking about "log history" and "log updates" to show changes backwards in time and forwards in time but this seems to be counter to the direction you're heading. Where are you going with listing changes thath have happened but that I don't have in my working copy?

I was thinking "explain", as in "explain update", "explain merge", etc.
sort of a moral equivalent to "cvs -n ..."; but I'll listen to other ideas. haven't given it much thought.

I've added the display of the ancestor id(s) to log in my working tree in an attempt to make it easier to see some more detail about changes but I'm not sure if this is helpful or not.

yeah, that sounds handy.

I was also thinking about showing the patch summary (again with something like log --verbose)

yup.

between versions to get some more detail and for a really detailed listing showing the actual diffs might be good too. Personally I'm finding that seeing what has changed and visualizing what's available in the database to be somewhat difficult.

yes, me too. these changes will bring a welcome improvement to the sense of "what the hell is going on" which sometimes occurs with distributed development.

I've also currently added aliases for update (up); commit (checkin and ci); and status (st) in my working tree. Any thoughts on these?

sound reasonable.

I really like the new selector stuff and was wondering whether there should be a file (f:) or perhaps path (p:) type of selector that matches things with /'s and other file type characters to look up an id in the current manifest.

heh, well, that would be handy if we hadn't stolen "/" as a selector separator (and if there weren't so many files in the top level dir of most projects, with no "/" in their pathname).

I'm thinking that this issue needs to be postponed for, or at least thought of in concert with, the issue of general "restrictions". we need a way to work from a subdirectory of monotone (only merge it, only show diffs in it, only update it, etc) as well as from an arbitrary subset of files. something tells me the UI for that and "files selected from a manifest" ought to be the same.

Along the lines of path/file selectors I've got a preliminary file diff command that's completely separate from the current diff command until some sensible syntax comes to mind.

neat. see above. I'd love to see some movement on a general restriction mechanism. I think it needs to be little more than a set of file names or patterns held in app_state, and used to filter manifests during construction.

On the ls missing type of commands I was wondering whether the debug command should be something like db execute 'sql' but again this may be going against your current direction.

no, that sounds good (especially if we make an option called --debug; never good to have a command with the same name as an option)

thanks for all these good suggestions! for those things you don't have working versions of yet, file them as bugs if possible so they're not forgotten.

-graydon