Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone w/out server machine

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone w/out server machine
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:47:44 -0700

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:43:27PM -0400, John Ilves wrote:
> Hmm, so I could make my database available by putting it on an http
> server? Wouldn't anyone who downloads it then have my private key?

Yes.  You could remove the key before putting it up, or if you, say,
used the planned netsync-over-ssh method to push changes to your http
server, then that would automatically not transfer your private key.

It would be a bit obnoxious to people trying to follow development,
though; they'd have to redownload the whole history every time they
wanted updates.  I _think_ it should be possible to unwind a monotone
database into the filesystem -- reflect the merkle tree structure into
the directory structure, basically -- and then write a clever client
that could efficiently pull from a database unwrapped in that fashion
and exposed over HTTP.  It'd be work, though, and no-one's done it.

> Speaking of which why are keys stored in databases, instead of, say,
> ~/.monotone/keys?

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=9012 :-)

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield