Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:58:24 +0200

Zbigniew Zagórski schrieb:
I've installed monotone yesterday ... now I'm after reading documentation, and i have some questions before i start using it more widely than testing:

1. why monotone use those ugly SHA1 signatures in *user interface* instead
well known revision numbers ... it's really weird ... how can i use typical
   revision numbers instead of tagging everything ? I'm asking about user
interface, i untersand reasons to use SHA as internal file/rev identifiers.

Because Revision numbers require a central authority to distribute number ranges among the Repositories. Monotone does not have the concept of a central server.

2. Can i serve monotone projects by SSH like CVS and BitKeeper do ?

Not yet, I'm desperately trying to find time to code it (failed so far).

3. What are future direction of development of monotone ? GUI/WebGUI maybe ?

Interoperability with other VC systems. That means more changeset oriented structure.

GUI/WebGUI - yes.

   Christof