Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:43:21 +0200

Adam Logghe wrote:

While sha-1 hashes may look a bit intimidating, in actually using them
in their short form I don't mind them a bit. I would see the addition of
"fake" version numbers to be a nuisance and likely to me much more
confusing when it counted (when you are trying to work out conflicts in
tree states).

I'm not sure it would be an improvement, but "real" version numbers could also be generated. You'd graydon.1.1, graydon.1.2, graydon.1.3, adam.1.1, and joel.1.1. These could remain consistent and be unique - but I'm not at all sure that this helps understandability or eases the average user experience.

If it were up to me, I'd leave the version numbers thing alone for the moment - even if a real or fake system of version numbering were implemented in the future, it's clear that the backend would be sticking with SHA hashes. As such, it has no infrastructure implications and isn't something that needs changing as soon as possible. This being the case, I think there's a strong argument for not changing it now, waiting until Monotone's matured a bit and then seeing what the user experience is for certain common operations and whether that experience could be improved via the use of an extra layer of version numbers, or anything else. Any other approach is probably premature optimisation.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.