Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: propagate failure: usage constaint

From: Jerome Fisher
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: propagate failure: usage constaint
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 06:36:10 +0200

graydon hoare wrote:
I don't know. is it fair to say that

  "moving a file X->Y"

and

  "deleting X"

merges to

  "deleting Y"

Good question... This is a very complex problem. If the move happens on the
left, then this depends on the states of X and Y on the right, and how they've
changed since the ancestor.

I think being conservative about auto-merging is currently a good idea. As I
see it, the big problem now is that manually merging these sorts of tree
conflicts is quite painful, and the focus should be on improving that.