Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: passphrase option

From: Mark White
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: passphrase option
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:35:15 +0100

graydon hoare writes:
> that said, I haven't written an agent. so I should put my money
> where my mouth is. part of the reason for delaying is that people
> have suggested we just reuse ssh-agent. literally just use its keys
> and everything. that's not a bad idea (their keys are as good as
> ours after all) but maybe not a *great* idea (it blends your login
> role and your version control role..)

Doesn't sound like a big problem: after all, you can keep as
many keys as you want in an ssh-agent, and nothing's making
you use the same ones for Monotone as for any login auth.

But AFAIK ssh keys don't have much concept of a label (email
address in monotone); it's highly mutable, and quite
possibly can't be retrieved from the agent anyway.  This
might need some extra work -- perhaps we could have a new
certificate type connecting an email address with a key, for
example.

Mark <><