Re: [Monotone-devel] Ancestry Graph

From: Brian Campbell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ancestry Graph
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:01:57 -0400

On Aug 19, 2004, at 9:14 PM, Phil de Joux wrote:

What about storing xml then xslt can be used to transform the format?

Well, if we're going to do this, then maybe we should just use GXL <http://www.gupro.de/GXL/> There are already tools included with Graphviz to convert GXL to DOT format. I don't really like XML, because it's needlessly verbose and a pain to actually parse correctly, but if we're going to go with a tool neutral XML format, we should probably go with GXL.

OK, so at this point, it looks like we have a few options:

1) Output to GXL format, use XSLT and converters to convert to the format of our favorite (or least disliked) graph layout software.

2) Output in an ad-hoc format, and have a program that converts it to other formats

3) Output in the format of (a) questionable, unmaintained, obfuscated software distributed under the GPL or (b) working, maintained software distributed under a non-free (but almost free) licence

4) Allow people to chose between several different output formats with a command line switch, and support a few of the most popular (probably GDL (vcg) and DOT)

5) Just give up and write our own graph layout software

Then, if we chose either 3 or 4, we also have the choice of

1) Output a fixed set of information about nodes
2) Add command line switches to select information include in/formatting of nodes

One important thing to note is that outputting in DOT format does not necessarily tie you to Graphviz. I know of at least one other (commercial) tool that can use DOT files. I guess the options I would prefer, all things considered, would be either GXL, or letting people chose between formats and choose what information and formatting to include using command line switches. GXL would mean that we can use tools that are already available for manipulating graphs, while having it all built in would reduce our dependencies on external programs as much as possible.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, the reason I'm not happy with the current situation is that I want to be able to write a monotone web interface, and allow you to select revisions based on an image map of the ancestry tree. Graphviz supports rendering to PNGs and outputting image maps, while xvcg doesn't (as far as I can tell). Also, we use Windows where I work, and I'd like for people to be able to get ancestry visualizations on their own without having to install a full Cygwin with X11 just to run a graph visualizer. And, I still have not managed to download a copy of xvcg, uglified or not. It sounds like, from some mail to mailings lists I've found, that the author is willing to release the source code in non-uglified form, but is unclear of the legal implications, since a company called aiSee now owns the rights to it.