Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-attrs formatting

From: Phil de Joux
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-attrs formatting
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:08:51 +1200

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:46:57 +0200, Jon Bright <address@hidden> wrote:

That's interesting, because I just tried with Windows Explorer here (WinXP) and I can't add leading spaces to either a directory or file name. I'm not denying it's possible (probably by opening a command window and manually doing 'ren'...), but if Explorer won't do it (it just removes any leading spaces I add), it seems like this can't be that common a case

Here are the contents of leadingspaces.bat

md "   123"
cd "   123"
md "   456"
cd "   456"
echo on > "   789.txt"
cd ..\..
tree /f /a

Here is the output of running this batch file

I:\monotone-spaces>leadingspaces.bat

I:\monotone-spaces>md "   123"

I:\monotone-spaces>cd "   123"

I:\monotone-spaces\   123>md "   456"

I:\monotone-spaces\   123>cd "   456"

I:\monotone-spaces\   123\   456>echo on  1>"   789.txt"

I:\monotone-spaces\   123\   456>cd ..\..

I:\monotone-spaces>tree /f /a
Folder PATH listing for volume 2K+1
Volume serial number is 71FAE346 2C48:2826
I:.
|   leadingspaces.bat

\---   123
    \---   456
               789.txt

You can use double quotes to delimit a command line parameter that contains spaces. You cannot do this with explorer .exe. You can view such folders and files but if you try entering " to delimit a name when renaming then you get the following tooltip;

A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \/:*?"<>|

Also if you use leading spaces for a new file or folder or when renaming using explorer it just trims them.