Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch names

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch names
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:37:00 -0700

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

No idea what you mean by branch globbing. I was just wondering if using

There's been some talk of replacing the "collection" concept with something a bit more flexible.

A collection is is really just a branch name prefix, the net.venge.monotone collection includes the net.venge.monotone.restrictions branch only because "net.venge.monotone.restrictions" starts with "net.venge.monotone".

One problem with this is that if you're serving net.venge.monotone the only option I may have is to pull the entire collection, even if I'm not interested in most of the branches in that collection.

From a serving point of view, you might want to serve only some of the branches starting with that prefix.

The idea of allowing something such as shell-like wildcard globbing of branch names has been tossed around a bit, although I think there are a few different issues with this as well.

The basic idea is that rather than doing a string prefix match something like a shell glob or regex match would be done instead to see if a particular branch is included. So to serve the entire net.venge.monotone collection as it is now, would require serving net.venge.monotone* and pulling net.venge.monotone would fetch only the main branch. To get the sub-branches would require pulling net.venge.monotone* or some such.

that style of branch name would cause any problems.

I think it should basically work fine, but some tests in a throw away database are probably in order to make sure. Play around with it if you can, and please report back with any interesting findings.

Cheers,
Derek