Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Serving * does not work

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Serving * does not work
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:58:18 -0700

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 02:32:32AM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> As a sidenote, this will happen more often as monotone becomes more
> widespread, since ppl tend to be confused by tools which implement
> their own globbing syntax (cf. 'find'). Especially so when it's
> differing from shell semantics or limited to a subset of it.
>
> We had a discussion about this some months ago, and I still think the
> current approach puts an unnecessary burden on users.

Hrm.  Do you have any better suggestions?  There just aren't that many
plausible pattern matching syntaxes out there, AFAIK...

I don't tend to run into it, because I tend to use things like
  net.venge.monotone*
which my shell passes through unchanged (standard though possibly
surprising posix sh behavior for globs that don't match any files).

Also because I almost always use the defaults :-).

But if this is a problem, we should try to fix it, if possible...

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music