[Monotone-devel] Re: Serving * does not work

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Serving * does not work
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:08:43 +0200

First to come back to my original problem.
Stupid me forgot to quote the * and shell expansion got it.

Really stupid, however I did not really trust monotone with respect
to the '*' because I encountered a weird problem earlier.

On MS Windows in the msys shell none of the followiing work;

monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy *   // This is obvious
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy "*"
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy '*'
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy \*
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy "\*"
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy '\*'
monotone --db=...  set xxx yyy \\*

All of them are expanded.  It is obviously a problem with the msys
shell.  However, the strange thing is:

ls *   // List all files because * is  expanded
ls '*' // says:  ls: *: No such file or directory
ls \*  // says:  ls: *: No such file or directory
etc.

So the ls command works fine.  Oh and it is not the fact
that ls is part of msys.  If you replace ls with notepad.exe
the expansion behaviour is correct as well.

Hm very mysterious.

Oh and before anyone asks :-)
starting monotone with --debug claims that the command line
contains the expanded *.

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> Straw poll?  % vs. *?

My vote goes to *.  I think more people
are familiar with the shell globbing than SQL.

Wim Oudshoorn.